Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Groundhog Day


So Mom came home from work and said, "C'mon Ax, let's go to the park, it finally stopped raining." On the way to the park is a railway crossing surrounded by high weeds and lots of mud. As we crossed the street into this wasteland, Mom and I spotted a fat groundhog -- he looked like that fella at left. He was almost as big as me!

I must take a minute to compliment my Mom. I am a good teacher. The old lady learnt from her prior experience. Of course, the minute I saw the groundhog, my terrier instincts kicked in and I pulled that leash like there was no tomorrow. Mom had the sense to let go of me before I pulled her over head first into the mud. I took off after the hog, and followed him into a grassy mound of earth. At that point, Mom reached me somehow and took off the leash so I wouldn't get caught on the undergrowth. She also, generously, decided to let me enjoy myself. (Not like she had a choice, I was NOT leaving!)

There was an entrance on both sides of the mound, so I stuck my whole body in there, and then started digging and digging. Mud was flying everywhere! When I couldn't find the hog at one entrance, I ran over the top of the mound to the other side and tried from the other end. I could smell the rascal, but I couldn't get him. Throughout the pursuit, other dogs walked by on the way to the park and I raced to the top of the mound and barked at them -- this was my groundhog and I was NOT about to share it!

I know its hard to make me out in the photo at right - it was taken on Mom's cell, but you get the idea. That's my bum and tail you see sticking out the hole.

An hour passed by, the sky had blackened and a downpour was imminent. Mom was now worrying about how she was going to leash and drag me home - you can't really see so well in the pic, but the mound was surrounded by bramble, rocks and undergrowth. When the rain came down, Mom took the plunge and managed after some time, to catch and drag me away. Man, I was pissed. I could have stayed there all night.

Of course I was filthy by this time, and Dad was not home, so I knew no way was Mom going to manage to bath me alone. I was excited to think that I'd be able to stay this dirty for a while. I love being dirty.

No suck luck. Mom sequestered me in the kitchen. Dad came home and 5 minutes later, lured with a big piece of provolone cheese, I found my self in the bath being shampooed. Drat!
I'm gonna get me that groundhog!!! He lives to see another day, but not for long. Heh heh.

AGC

PS Happy Passover and Happy Easter everyone. How come the Jews get the bum deal again - cardboard, yuch, even I won't eat that! And the Christians get gaily painted chocolate eggs? Geez.

13 comments:

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Axel, you are a real warrior! You look terrific in mud! Sure wish we could run after some critters too, but we have to settle for running after dogs at the dog park.
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie

Princess Patches said...

You'll get him next time, Axel. We're sure of it! Maybe next time will be drier so you won't have the subsequent b-a-t-h!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Ricky Pepper said...

Axel, you are so brave to dive into that groundhog hole head first!
Sorry about your bath but I bet it was worth it!

Gus said...

wow.. a REAL ADVENTURE! You are truly my hero.

Teka Toy

TwoSpecialWires said...

A true earth dog you are, Axel. I'm impressed. We've got events here where we live for dogs like you. Check out: http://www.akc.org/events/earthdog/index.cfm

Maybe we'll see you with your trophy one day soon! Hope so!
Jake and Fergi

William Tell said...

Axel, you remind me of Bill Murray in the movie Caddyshack! Can't wait to hear of your next close encounter with this critter.

Happy Tails,
William Tell

Agatha and Archie said...

GO TO GROUND AXEL!!!!!! See why we love earthdog dog??!! And you have it RIGHT NEAR YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Man are we jelly!! Happy Passover!!!! Love A+A

Eric said...

Wow! A ground hog...never seen one but it looks pretty fearsome. I'm gobsmacked at your terrierness Axel. Me...I don't do the digging and chasing stuff too much. Far too much effort. I'd of just wished groundhog a Happy Easter or Passover!!!

Wiry wags, Eric xx

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Cardboard? Explain, Axel...we know ALL ABOUT THE PRETTY EGGS that we get to stuff our faces with...but how come you hafta eat cardboard???

Oh Axel...you're our hero...
(all three terriers bow east in the direction of Philly....)

Ya tracked a Goundhoggers and tried to burrow in???!!! Was it Punxatawney Phil or however ya spell it????????) Was he mean? And you were filthy, Man...oh, that musta been the best...you're a certifiable EARTH DOGGIE!!

YOU ROCK, AXEL!!

Love ya lots...

Scruffman!

Dewey Dewster said...

Yea, Axel....Gram heard about yer groundhog adventure but never bothered ta tell us about it.......we just wanted ta tell ya that ya would make a great earthdog...should ya want ta be one, that is....cause that's what earthdog is all about....goin' inta tunnels and sniffin' out vermin....only the vermin in the tunnels are rats.....we know ya could do it...ya did yer breed proud seekin' out that fat, nasty-toothed vermin in the park.....great job....bet ya were happy too....until ya had ta have a bath......

Dewey Dewster here....

Amber-Mae said...

Nice & muddy!

Smoochies,
Solid Gold Dancer

Anonymous said...

Sydney & I miss hearing aobut your Axel! Time to take over that computer again!

World of Animals, Inc said...

Axel, you are so very brave after reading this story. The groundhog was probably like who's coming into my house. Thanks for the wonderful share. Have a fantastic rest of your day.
World of Animals